Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The BIG Day!

6 August 2010: Friday started off with a busy morning. V and B were up here so we went and ran some errands. We started by going to Target then were off to Hallmark, Old Navy, and the Columbia Mall. Phew! Side note though, I was able to find a baby book for the new little BOY that is going to be entering our world later this year.

We zoomed home for a quick lunch which T was able to enjoy with us for the first time of the week, due to his crazy new school schedule. Nothing fancy just wraps/sandwiches then we (B and T) were off to the Medical School.

We spent a little while looking around the school and seeing where he will spend most of his time. Then it was time to listen to some speakers in one of the lecture bowls. It was primarily information about the curriculum, history of the school, and ways to manage and help medical students be as successful as they can be. The information presented was quite nice and I appreciated it; however I was a little turned off by some of the remarks that were made about students who have spouses and/or families. Essentially the message I got was that from now on I was going to be a single mother and any second of T's time that is spent with the family I should be grateful to receive. Now being that I am a believer of family time and CO-parenting of course I had a little bit of a difficult time with this. I felt/feel that school is very important but that does not mean that we (the kids and myself) do not exist anymore. That is simply unrealistic in my mind. Just because T is in school does not mean that I don't have thoughts, feelings, or stress. The complete emphasis was on the student and how the world should revolve around school.

Anyway after the lectures/ speakers we headed home to get the kids and other family for the White Coat Ceremony. When we got home Gpa D and Gma W were there. They were able to spend a little time with the kids and E got to open his Birthday present, because on top of everything else TODAY WAS E'S 3RD BIRTHDAY!

Next we were off to the Alerus Center for the big event. We got places to sit then V and I took the kids out into the halls to run around and get rid of some energy. Apparently T's new friends were making jokes that by the time our fourth child comes around he is going to have a film crew following him at school because we will be starring in our own reality series. Hahaha. The ceremony went well, the kids lasted about 45 minutes. One of the best parts was when the class of 2014 was walking in, dead silent keep in mind, and J yells out, "There's my Daddy!". Basically everyone around us was snickering because it was so darn cute. T got his new fancy white coat and then we were off to dinner at another one of the ballrooms.

The invitation said 'picnic' but this was anything but a picnic. White Linen table cloths, pink and green cloth napkins, circular tables, etc. I guess it was picnic food so that is where they got it from. The kids finished off the meal and did well, GD and GW were off to the cities, and we were headed home. E finally got to open the rest of his birthday presents although he did not get his cupcakes till Saturday night!

No comments:

Post a Comment