Our Baby Boy is HERE!
The big story of little O:
On Tuesday (the 7th) I had an appointment and I asked my doctor what the plan was. He wanted to induce the 14th, I said that was a no go since T's tests would be taking place at that time. I asked if he had any plans on the 9th and if we could induce that day instead. After looking in the computer and talking back and forth we decided that the 9th would be a good day. After my appointment I called my mom and she made plans to be up here Wednesday night so she could watch the kids for us. (We did not tell anyone else at this point because last time we had to call a bunch of people and tell them that he was NOT born and that sucked so...)
The day. I got up showered and called the Labor and Delivery area of the hospital. They said they were FULL and I could not come in today. They may have an opening at about 10 or 11 and they would give me a call back. REALLY? Are you kidding me? were my exact thoughts. My mom was up here for a second time and no baby. What are the chances?! Then they called back about 30 minutes later and said that things had changed and I could come in! Woohoo. Maybe we will have a baby today after all. We got to the hospital about 7:30 and my doctor was in my room by 8:30 to break my water! He said he wanted to make sure that they did not have an option to send me home so he was very prompt.Thank You Dr. B. Labor progressed normally and everything was great. Actually surprisingly fast and somewhat painless. By about 1 pm I was in a little more pain and got a dose of Stadol before it would be too late. By 2 pm I was dilated to 6 cm and 100% effaced and by 2:30 we were ready to go...
The delivery process was almost unimaginable. I had 4 or 5 contractions that were spaced far enough apart that I felt refreshed for the next one. I remember talking back and forth with T, Dr. B, the Res. Dr., and the nurse; I have no clue what we talked about but I remember talking with them and being really relaxed. (Dr. B knew that T is a Medical student so they were chit chatting about that type of stuff during this phase as well.) There were a couple points that I was a little nervous that labor had completely stopped. I was in no pain and could not feel anything. Then a minute or so later it would be time to push again. Next thing I knew O was born and it was over. I guess after N's dramatic entrance into this world I was a little surprised that it was so 'easy'. Don't get me wrong labor and delivery is never easy and it hurts a lot, but this was pleasant compared to N. We were not too surprised when Dr. B said, "He is a big boy and he has red hair." T and I just looked at each other and laughed a little. O's hair color is just like his big sister's.
O is here and ready to go. After being cleaned up and everything checked out I got to hold him. After a couple minutes it was suggested that I try to feed him and see how he did. It was like magic; he instantly latched and nursed like a pro. Not even a fumble. And he has not changed; he now weighs over 11 lbs! He is such a great baby. We are truly blessed to have such a wonderful little guy come into our family. The only time he cries is when he is hungry, needs to burp, or is cold.
The kids got to meet their new little brother on Friday night when we got home from the hospital. The hospital was so full we had to double up in recovery rooms so we did not want to bring the kids up and disrupt the other new mother in the room. (I found out Friday morning that there were 16 babies in the nursery at that point!) Anyways... the kids love O to pieces! We have not seen any jealousy from any of the kids. I would have to say the worst things they have done is fight and argue about who is going to hold him first, next, and last or who held him the most.
It is a great feeling to have another piece to our family puzzle. Our little miracle fits right in!!! = )
I'm here catching up! What a fabulous labor and delivery story! YAY! I'm praying for the same kind of non-drama this time!! So happy for you guys! : )
ReplyDelete