Tuesday, October 5, 2010

story time

I recently heard about ‘story time’ at some local libraries. I am not a huge fan of bringing my kids out in public alone but thought I should give it a try and see how it goes (it can be difficult being outnumbered at times). We went to story time this morning and the kids did awesome! J was a little reserved at first but with some coaching I was able to get her to enjoy herself. She did an impeccable job on her art project (not quite sure where she got her ‘Type A’ personality from!?!) and was very proud of it. E was more interested in playing with the blocks that another little boy was using so he slyly made his way over to play with him. I was just happy that he did not freak out about getting any glue on his fingers and cause a scene since he is a bit of a fanatic about not being sticky or dirty. And N did great too. She sat in the toddler/pre-schooler sized chairs like a big kid and thought she was so cool! It was kind of cute to watch her because she was so proud of sitting on a chair all by herself. She held her crayons in her hands and every now and then would make a little scribble on her paper. If she dropped one on accident she quickly got off her chair, picked it up, and got back up on the chair; then just sat their proudly looking around with a huge smile on her face. I was a tad overwhelmed. There were far more children there than I had expected (17-20) and of course not knowing how my lovely children were going to behave made me a little cautious. There are different days of the week as well as locations that we have available to attend so we are going to go back for more! Plus when the baby comes I will be able to bring him too! This will be great for the kids to interact with other children and get used to listening to someone other than mommy and daddy. Overall I think it is a win win situation!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like it was a great time for all! Glad the kids had such a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you guys had fun! Wish we could've made it! I think we'll try for Thurs. at the other library, same time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Sounds like it went well! I am seeing how much M is learning just from being with other kids. It's great that you have a chance to interact with kiddos in the community! : )

    ReplyDelete