Last Monday: I had a check-up at the doctor because I was going to be induced on Tuesday (the 30th). After talking with the doctor we realized that according to my ultrasounds that my due date was not till the 18th instead of the 10th. We decided that we would come in on Tuesday morning and have an amniocentesis done to check the development of our little baby boy’s lungs.
Last Tuesday: We arrived at the hospital to be potentially induced. After arriving around 7:30am we were hooked up to monitors and machines. The nurse who set up the bands around my tum-tum was impressed with the hardness of my abdomen. She thought I was having intense contractions because my stomach was rock hard but it turned out it was/is just FULL of baby. After hanging around for a couple hours the ultrasound technician came in to check on the little guy and see if we could find any amniotic fluid pockets that would be suitable to perform the amniocentesis. Once she started moving the magic wand around she too commented on how FULL of baby my abdomen was. This guy is EVERYWHERE! [Not exactly what I want to hear since N weighed in at 9lbs. 11ozs.!] They were finally able to find a spot that they could withdraw some fluid; after much flipping, turning, maneuvering, and manipulating of this baby. I was actually surprised at how painful it was to have the doctor lift the baby and move him around (while still in my uterus of course). Nothing compared to labor and delivery by any means, but none the less still painful. The amniocentesis went well and was uneventful (thank goodness). Then we got to sit and wait for another hour and a half or so. We were a little disappointed at the results (his lungs were at 30 and he needed to be at 55 in order for us to follow through with the induction). So we packed up and headed home; without a baby in our arms.
We were more than alright with the idea of not having the baby induced since his lungs were not fully mature but were slightly discouraged. I guess the timing would have been TOO perfect for it to work out. Our list of things that were prepared for this little guys’ arrival was more than complete plus my mom was up here to help with the kids while I would have been in the hospital. Now we get to play the waiting game and see what happens next. Our doctor moved my due date to the 18th now so we have a little more time. I know it does no good to worry about it but I am just hoping that everything falls into place and the baby is not born during T’s block exams (13th-15th); any other time would be just great! I have another appointment tomorrow so we will have to see what is in store for us next!
What a sweet boy! He's already listening to his Mommy and not making her wait a long time AND not being born during T's exams! Can't wait to see pictures! Congrats B Fam!
ReplyDelete