We moved to TX the end of May so we have been here about 6 weeks or so. There have been a few things that are a little different that I have noticed verses the upper Midwest.
>The grocery store closest to us is an H.E.B. Plus. This
may mean nothing unless you are a true Texan. This place has a huge variety of
everything including but not limited to… electronics, toys, housewares,
grilling and outdoor, party supplies, clothing, fresh sushi, butcher, organic/natural
items, jewelry, floral shop, bakery, and much more. The first time we went in
here we just walked around and looked at everything in the grocery store for well over an hour! And to keep our kids
entertained long enough to be able to do that says something. = )
>I know that coming from ER, GF, and B doesn’t count as
coming from a ‘city’ so moving to SA was truly a wake-up call in regards to
traffic and city life. There are so many interstates, highways, and access roads it is enough
to drive you mad (no pun intended, hahaha). I have truly become dependent upon
my google map app on my phone to get me from point A to point B. The city is
essentially set up like a wheel with a loop running around the central area of
the city then another around the outer city. Then there are several that run
right through the city. So traffic is alright if you know how to navigate 1604,
410, 35, 37, 10, 90, 87, & 281 just to name a few. In addition to the roads there are also 3
military branches that have recently merged to add to the confusion.
>I had the privilege of experiencing a few substantial
rainstorms but a few days ago we had a thunderstorm. And HOLY SMOKES. I heard
the loudest thunder I have ever heard in my LIFE. The kids were running around
the yard with their swimsuits on enjoying the rain while H and I were on the
porch. The thunder was so loud and so long poor little H probably should have
had ear protection on. I can’t even
describe how loud it was. It was unreal.
>The customer service down here is also unreal. When we go
shopping (anywhere… Target, WalMart, H.E.B., CVS, Walgreens, etc, etc)
associates are always asking if they can help or how our day is going or they
stop and chat with the kids. In ND or MN I never had such amazing customer
service. The people working down here actually like their jobs! Weird right?!
>Last but certainly not least, people seem to enjoy seeing
our family out and about. Now I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion
but our family is what it is and we would not have it any other way. But let’s
be honest. We have a big family and it is not very often that a couple in their
early 30s have six kids. It is almost unheard of. Naturally there are always
the nay-sayers and debbie-downers but we have not come across any down here
(yet). Up north I would frequently get rude comments from complete strangers
about my family size but down here we have got nothing but compliments.
No comments:
Post a Comment