Tuesday, May 3, 2011

LONG day

Today was a trying day. We did not really have anything too important going on but the kids seemed to have a different idea of how things were going to be done, well E anyway. We went to Target this morning to get a couple odds and ends which ended by having to physically hold E in the cart and pay with one hand. Then we made it home and things were alright.

This afternoon J had an appointment and I took the boys with so T could study. (N stayed home and napped.) About 3 minutes into J’s appointment E started to misbehave. He did not want to be quiet, was grabbing toys, and playing with everything he could. He ended up getting away from me and jumped into a pit of balls. I was unable to get him out because he kept being just out of my reach. I finally grabbed his arm and picked him up. Thank goodness I brought the double stroller with me! I was able to buckle him in there and leave with him; after a battle and him head-butting me of course. J did amazing working with the specialist and enjoyed having an adult all to herself. = )

I took the boys for a 20-30 minute walk and then went back to check on J. She was done with her PT evaluation and ready to start her OT evaluation. E once again wanted to play with all the fun exciting things so we had to leave. This time we went out to the van and I fed O while E played with some of the toys. I was just about ready to go back inside when E informed me that he needed to poop. Oh great! I got everything set so we could go back inside: stroller out, O in his carseat, E’s sweatshirt back on, E in stroller, van locked, and we were off. Unfortunately, I was not fast enough and he had a minor accident. Of course I did not have the communal diaper bag with me I just had O’s diaper bag. So E had to wear a diaper home that was just a tad too small.

We made it back in perfect timing and J was just getting done. It turns out that she is a little behind her peers as far as gross motor skills are concerned (jumping, hopping, skipping, etc.) but her fine motor skills (writing, drawing, cutting, etc.) are a little ahead of her peers. The PT thought it would be a good idea for J to have therapy once a week all summer so when she starts school in the fall she won’t be too far behind. She does not think the classroom will be a problem but J may have a tough time in gym. The OT does not see a need for any therapy since she is a tad advanced for her age. *Bragging moment*: certain areas she is at a seven-year-old level!
I think J will have fun and enjoy this time. She does need to work on some of those skills and get a little stronger. She is just so petite and fragile.

I had been keeping T up to date via texting while I was there and on the way home he sent me a lovely text; wondering where we were and making sure I did not have a nervous breakdown. He is a funny one. After we got home we had a little snack, O went to sleep, and I took the three big kids outside to play for almost an hour. J is a rock star at biking (with training wheels!) and E was horrible at first but I think he is coming around. : / I don’t know if he didn’t understand or just didn’t care but E was so frustrating a few weeks ago when we got the bikes out. Now he seems to be on the right track though. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment