Thursday, April 7, 2011

P90X Update

P90X seems to be going alright as of now! We have 2 weeks down and 11 to go. We are not very far into the program but I can already tell a difference. When we started the program there were exercises that I could not even imagine doing and I thought to myself: *Are you kidding me? I will never be able to do this/that!* I can proudly say that I am able to do most of those exercises now! I may not be able to do as many reps as the people on the DVDs but I can do some of them now. I have also noticed that I have more stamina. I probably should not even admit this but… I had a hard time doing jumping jacks for 30 seconds straight (try it and see if you can do it!) but in just 2 weeks I am now able to go for close to a minute. I am not trying to sell anyone on the product I am just stating my personal opinion. I have not noticed a drop in my weight or in inches anywhere on my body yet but I have hope that it will come later down the line. All in good time, right?! They also have good variety within the program. I have tried other exercise videos and they get so boring after a week or so but these make me want to do them every night!

One of the drawbacks that we did find is that you need to be dedicated both with time and finances. The time issue is alright for me because I work out at night after the kids all go to bed at 8ish. But for T he has had to do homework late one or two nights so he had to make up his workouts. The program itself is not that expensive (around $140) but we found after buying the program that there were a lot of things that we needed to buy in order to get better results. For example, they (P90X) said you could use weight lifting bands or dumbbells. We got the bands -because they were cheaper- and found that the dumbbells are actually better and you get more out of your workout. So we got some of those. Next we needed a push-up/ pull-up/ chin-up bar, whichever you would like to call it, but we only need to use it during one DVD (so far). Not to mention the need for: yoga blocks, yoga mats, heart rate monitors, & good shoes. We decided, actually I decided, that we are not going to get crazy about the food aspect of the program. P90X sends a brochure/book about what types of foods to eat, how much of each food group, recipes, and meal choices. I just don’t feel that it is realistic for us to use their food program.

1)The kids would not eat half of the meals so I would have to make extra meals for them.
2) The recipes call for food items that we don’t typically have on hand.
3) TIME. I just don’t know where I would get the extra time to measure everything meticulously to keep track of calories, number of servings for each food group, the size of each serving, etc.
I know that we may not get the best results that we could possibly get because of the diet aspect but we are making a conscience effort to watch what, how much, and when we eat.

*And my absolute FAVORITE part about P90X is that T and I are able to do it together! I know that sounds sappy but it is fun to do something together without the kids (don’t get me wrong I love my kidsies), but it is like a date every night. = )

No comments:

Post a Comment